Senior Planner (full-time)
Powell River, BC
OPEN DATE: Thursday, February 1, 2018
CLOSING DATE: 4 pm Tuesday, February 13, 2018
DEPARTMENT: Planning Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Planning Services
About The Organization:
Located on the upper Sunshine Coast of British Columbia within the traditional territory of the Tla'amin First Nation, Powell River offers a mix of urban and rural living in a naturally beautiful setting. Surrounded by mountains, lakes, natural forest and the ocean, Powell River offers something for every outdoor recreation enthusiast. Powell River has a vibrant Arts and Culture community and hosts world class festivals and events. Whether you are hiking the Sunshine Coast Trail, taking in the International Kathaumixw Choral Festival, exploring our historic Townsite, or connecting with the world in your home office, Powell River is a great place to live, work and play. Helpful websites: City of Powell River Tourism Powell River
Reviews and prepares medium to complex community plans, policies and development applications. Guides the City on a variety of strategic, social, economic and environmentally sustainable actions. Demonstrates considerable independent judgment and innovative approaches to urban planning
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Initiates and manages a wide variety of medium to complex planning initiatives that are consistent with the City’s strategic corporate directions
- Undertakes technical analysis and evaluation for a broad range of projects; produces and presents comprehensive reports and recommendations to deadline; for Council, City Committees and the public
- Manages medium to complex development proposals by overseeing, processing and negotiating deadline-driven rezoning, subdivision, development permit and development variance permit applications
- Manages a variety of planning, community enhancement and sustainability action plans, and corporate initiatives
- Represents the City’s interests to the Federal and Provincial Governments, community groups and the development industry and gathers input on planning and development decisions
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with internal and external contacts, the public at large and the development industry
- Engages and directs the work of consultants engaged in community planning initiatives and manages the financial aspects of their contracts
- Assists in coaching and mentoring Planning Services staff, other City staff and consultants on planning related matters
- Attends division safety talks and required safety training; follows safe work procedures; reports hazards, injuries and near misses
- Maintains professional and technical requirements for the position
- Performs related duties as assigned
- High School (Grade 12) and Undergraduate Degree
- Masters Degree in Community and Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture, or related field
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License
- Thorough knowledge of the Community Charter, the Local Government Act, and other provincial policies relating to planning.
- Thorough knowledge of City bylaws as they relate to Planning
- Membership or eligibility for membership with the Planning Institute of British Columbia (PIBC)
- W.H.M.I.S. Certificate
- Up to date knowledge of the City’s computer applications, administrative systems and office technology as required
- 5 years experience in land use planning and development in the local government sector or private sector
- Or an equivalent combination of experience and education
This is a union position with the current 2018 pay rate of $41.22 per hour as outlined in the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 798 Collective Agreement.
HOURS OF WORK:
8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, 7 hour day, 35 hour week
How To Apply:
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions contained in the application below. NOTE: CUPE members must use their correct seniority date. After completing the questions, click "Next".
- Attach a cover letter and a resume as separate PDF or Word documents. This is a mandatory requirement of the application process.
- Attach copies of degrees, diplomas, and certifications if applicable in one single PDF or Word document.
- IMPORTANT: Each applicant must use an email address unique to them.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, we may choose to only acknowledge those applicants selected for interview.
The City of Powell River is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants may be required to participate in formal testing and interviews and to provide documentation to demonstrate and support their qualifications.