Engineering Technologist (1 year minimum full-time term)
Powell River, BC
OPEN DATE: Tuesday, February 6, 2018
CLOSING DATE: 4 pm Monday, February 26, 2018
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure Services
DIVISION: Engineering Services
REPORTS TO: Manager of Engineering Services
About The Organization:
Located on the upper Sunshine Coast of British Columbia within the traditional territory of the Tla'amin First Nation, Powell River offers a mix of urban and rural living in a naturally beautiful setting. Surrounded by mountains, lakes, natural forest and the ocean, Powell River offers something for every outdoor recreation enthusiast. Powell River has a vibrant Arts and Culture community and hosts world class festivals and events. Whether you are hiking the Sunshine Coast Trail, taking in the International Kathaumixw Choral Festival, exploring our historic Townsite, or connecting with the world in your home office, Powell River is a great place to live, work and play. Helpful websites: City of Powell River Tourism Powell River
Performs a variety of technical work related to Engineering Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in the preparation and review of designs for municipal utility installations
- Provides preliminary design for drafting or construction purposes
- Provides technical direction in matters related to the installation of municipal utilities
- Interprets technical specifications and standards
- Carries out preliminary drafting services
- Analyses situations, defines problems, researches and plans the solution and prepares technical reports as required
- Prepares short and long term utility servicing plans
- Prepares preliminary and detailed construction cost estimates
- Responds to all forms of inquiries from all sectors with respect to technical matters involving municipal utilities
- Monitors and maintains the database of all capital project information
- Designs and monitors automatic traffic control devices
- Liaises with all levels of Government Agencies and Consultants
- Assists in compilation of annual capital and operating and maintenance budgets
- Carries out project management duties to related civil works, including field inspection, contract maintenance
- Preparation and issuance of requests for proposals, requests for quotes, contracts and related documents
- Attends division safety talks, crew talks and required safety training; follows safe work procedures; reports hazards, injuries and near misses
- Preparation and issuance of internal memos and letters to the public
- Attends committee meetings and other public meetings as requested to speak on area of technical specialty
- Recommends and prepares policies and procedures for Engineering Services and Public Works
- Reviews and recommends invoices for approval and payment
- Maintains professional and technical requirements for the position
- Performs related duties as assigned
- High School (Grade 12)
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License
- 2 Year Diploma in Civil and Structural Technology
- Certified Public Works Inspector I
- Knowledge of the Builders’ Lien Act, Local Government Act and Highway Act
- Knowledge of municipal bylaws as they relate to Operational Services
- Knowledge of RTAC Standards, Uniform Traffic Standards of Canada and the current BC Building and Plumbing Code
- Membership or eligibility for membership with the A.S.T.T.B.C.
- W.H.M.I.S. Certificate
- Up to date knowledge of the City’s facility maintenance control systems (SCADA), computer applications, administrative systems and office technology as required
- 3 years experience in municipal engineering or related field
- Or an equivalent combination of experience and education
This is a union position with the current 2018 pay rate of $37.21 per hour as outlined in the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 798 Collective Agreement.
HOURS OF WORK:
8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, 7 hour day, 35 hour week
How To Apply:
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions contained in the application below. NOTE: CUPE members must use their correct seniority date. After completing the questions, click "Next".
- Attach a cover letter and a resume as separate PDF or Word documents. This is a mandatory requirement of the application process.
- Attach copies of degrees, diplomas, and certifications if applicable in one single PDF or Word document.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, we may choose to only acknowledge those applicants selected for interview.
The City of Powell River is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants may be required to participate in formal testing and interviews and to provide documentation to demonstrate and support their qualifications.