Assistant Wharfinger (part-time)
Powell River, BC
OPEN DATE: January 9, 2019
CLOSING DATE: 4 pm Monday, January 21, 2019
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure Services
DIVISION: Operational Services
REPORTS TO: Wharfinger
About The Organization:
Located on the upper Sunshine Coast of British Columbia within the traditional territory of the Tla'amin First Nation, Powell River offers a mix of urban and rural living in a naturally beautiful setting. Surrounded by mountains, lakes, natural forest and the ocean, Powell River offers something for every outdoor recreation enthusiast. Powell River has a vibrant Arts and Culture community and hosts world class festivals and events. Whether you are hiking the Sunshine Coast Trail, taking in the International Kathaumixw Choral Festival, exploring our historic Townsite, or connecting with the world in your home office, Powell River is a great place to live, work and play. Helpful websites: City of Powell River Tourism Powell River
Assists with administering the day-to-day operation of the Municipal and Federal harbours
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enforces municipal and federal government harbour regulations, allocates moorage space, collects, records and deposits moorage fees and issues receipts to transient vessels, maintains daily records of daily harbour traffic
- Assists vessels in mooring and leaving the dock
- Removes debris from harbour, from docks and other harbour facilities and assures docks are safe for public use
- Handles emergency situations such as performing small repairs on sinking vessels, observing and reporting waste and fuel spills; monitors and reports Harbour security concerns
- Monitors and responds to radio communication calls
- Performs janitorial maintenance to public washrooms and showers; mixes and uses cleaning solvents and solutions; replenishes adequate cleaning supplies and dispenser articles; advises Wharfinger of maintenance issues
- Attends crew talks and required safety training; follows safe work procedures; reports hazards, injuries and near misses
- Operates an electric low-speed vehicle
- Maintains professional and technical requirements for the position
- Performs related duties as assigned
- High School (Grade 12)
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License
- VHF Restricted Marine Radio Operators License
- Pleasure Craft Operator`s Certificate
- W.H.M.I.S. Certificate
- Up to date knowledge of the City’s computerized systems, administrative systems and office technology as required
- 3 months related previous experience
- Or an equivalent combination of experience and education
This is a union position with the current 2018 pay rate of $26.43 per hour as outlined in the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 798 Collective Agreement.
HOURS OF WORK:
Up to 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week, may include evening and weekend shifts.
How To Apply:
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions contained in the application below. NOTE: CUPE members must use their correct seniority date. After completing the questions, click "Next".
- Attach a cover letter and a resume as separate PDF or Word documents. This is a mandatory requirement of the application process.
- Attach copies of degrees, diplomas, and certifications if applicable in one single PDF or Word document.
- IMPORTANT: Each applicant must use an email address unique to them.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, we may choose to only acknowledge those applicants selected for interview.
The City of Powell River is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants may be required to participate in formal testing and interviews and to provide documentation to demonstrate and support their qualifications.